These truffles are super-easy to make and the recipe makes about 5 dozen in about an hour’s time, on the cheap! Perfect for holiday gift-giving. Make up a batch to distribute to bosses, favorite teachers, coaches and Grandma. There’s more than enough to go around, but they won’t last long at all because they are amazingly addictive!
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (the real stuff, not the imitation.
Directions In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until no streaks remain. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls.
Okay! That was the hard part, now you are on the road to interesting flavor combos. You can flavor this ganache or roll the truffles in crushed candy, nuts or do both for interesting flavor combinations. Here are some cool suggestions. Try your own out! That’s the beauty of such a huge batch. Make 5 truffles in 12 flavors. Worse case, you throw some out… it’s the creative process that matters most. My yoga teacher always said: “Make as many mistakes as you can this week, it’s the only way to learn.”
**To achieve maximum “WOW” factor and for prettier truffles, stab with a toothpick and dip into melted white, milk or dark chocolate. Flavor the chocolate with liqueurs if you’d like or add food dye to your white chocolate to pipe on details (hearts, shamrocks, Christmas trees)
Keep in mind you should organize the flavors and be able to identify them. Obviously, you don’t want a toddler to get a hold of the chili-chocolate one!!
– MINT: Add minced mint leaves to the ganache, roll in cocoa powder
– Roll in hot cocoa drink mix, which is less bitter than cocoa and adds a quick burst of flavor effortlessly. Land O Lakes sells individual cup-sized envelops for around 50 cents with flavors like raspberry, amaretto (almond), mint or caramel.
– WHITE CHOCOLATE/MACADAMIA NUT Roll in white chocolate and finely chopped macadamia nuts
– COFFEE Add strong espresso to the ganache and dip in chocolate, garnish with a coffee bean…or just roll in espresso powder.
– AMARETTO Add cherry syrup and almond extract to the ganache, roll in finely chopped almonds.
– CHILI CHOCOLATE Add some heat! Mix in a SMALL amount of chili oil or powder. Try and compliment the chocolate with subtle heat, not light people on fire. Roll in red sprinkle balls or dip in chocolate and pipe red-dyed white chocolate on top.
– NUT Roll in coconut, walnuts, pistachios or pecans
– LEMON/ORANGE Add orange or lemon extract to ganache. Dip in white chocolate or dyed white chocolate. Top with candied lemon or orange rind.
– PEPPERMINT Add peppermint extract or minced peppermint leaves to the ganache, roll in crushed candy canes leftover from Christmas.
– ALCOHOLIC/LIQUEUR Add amaretto, DiSarrono, Grand Marnier, rum (or rum flavoring) or any other type of alcohol to the ganache. How about liqueur (almond, coffee, orange) Roll in chocolate sprinkles
– How about different colors of sprinkles? Round balls or jimmies? Little heart-shaped ones?
WHEW! Are we to 5 dozen yet? What new combos can you come up with?